Sunday 8 March 2009

Know Thy Maker(s)

IGN.com has just very recently finished their run on the a list of the Top 100 Game Creators, which is basically a who's who in the world of videogames over the last 4 decades or so, spanning 7 console generations.

This is especially note-worthy in my opinion, simply because the heroes in the game industry go relatively unsung of in mass media as compared to the giants of the other media industries, like the movie industry for example.

Needless to say, rather obvious choices like Hideo Kojima, Peter Molyneux, Shinji Mikami and company made the list, but it was refreshing to see some of the forefathers of the industry getting props too.

All-in-all, I would say that its a rather fair list, give or take a few debatable positions, but still... No prizes for guessing who made the top of the list though, it was a far too obvious choice.

Hit the link if you're even remotely interested about finding out the people behind your favorite games.



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

well.. I certainly do hope someday you'll be part of that list...

how have you been Mr Vampire.. you know, I was out drinking with a few friends at a pub the other night, and suddenly one of them said he worked at Madame Wong as a bartender before.

Funny how certain 'unimportant' details could make a person think of friends all of sudden. =)

and if you're wondering.. I am still surviving at Perth, albeit feeling a little...displaced. Ha..

Jeremy Kang said...

Oh really? Would I happen to know him? What's his name? But then again, maybe not, Madam Wong had a few "generations" of staff, so...

And yeah, I hope to make that list one day too, but can't help but feel that I'm a late-bloomer as compared to some of the guys there, and worse still, I feel it slipping further and further away from me...

Displaced? Why? Too used to the life in Sg that going back to Perth gave you culture shock for a second time?

Anonymous said...

hey, I don't know if you do, but he's born '82 too, and he said you 'sounded familiar' though I don't know how familiar is that.. haa.. he worked there in 2002.. name's Paul.

well.. I do believe that you've got to have a little faith despite, no..in fact BECAUSE of all the setbacks you've gone through, you definitely need to make this work. Else you would have gone through those shit all for nothing.

haa..and as for the displacement issues..glad we managed to catch up..sort of. =)

good luck on that project yeah..