Monday 18 May 2009

Orgo: War of the Worlds

Staring through the glass confinements of our little isolated section, the city probably never looked so beautiful on a quiet Thursday night. Dazzled by the blue and yellow streaks flaunting their glory from a distance, the eyes mostly found relief in the peripheral, where the waves of the Singapore River slithered on in its own rhythm.

Beats of an Oriental Trance mix boomed from the speakers behind us, laying its own hypnotizing effects on the mind as I watched the waves dance on, my mind wandering further and further from my body with the passing of each beat.


View

Through the Looking Glass


Silence fell between us as I turned to look at her, staring on as well. We were in our own little worlds, our own little spaces, perhaps unwinding in our own little ways - words were probably unnecessary for the occasion. I turned my head back and stared on.


"Grapes, sir." The waitress said, breaking the silence and sliding a cocktail class of grapes in between us as she did. A rather unexpected and pleasant surprise, but perhaps only fitting when pondered upon further, perfectly complimenting the bar's signature Fresh Fruit Martini spread.


Dark GrapesBattered

Fruit and Choices


"This is new," I told her, as I reached out to pick a dark and succulent grape with my pincer-like thumb and index finger. Raising the fruit to my mouth, I sampled the sweet juiciness of the grape as looked around to capture a mental image of the decor that surrounded me.


Down

Angle


Lit with exquisite lamps and chandeliers, Orgo was an ideal late-night affair nicely perched atop the Esplanade rooftop garden, overlooking an angle of the Singapore River. The decor had an emphasis the contrasts between shades of red and black against the golden lights. The warm lighting and texture choice of wooden furniture set the mood for a rather laidback and peaceful session, but the abundance of glass in the furniture served as a striking reminder to the class that came along with it - and the very essence that made it famous in the first place, the private class cubicles.


CouchHourglass

Lights



"So how do we get to drink in one of those cubicles?" I asked the passing captain.


"Oh, that is meant for reservations for groups of 10 or more people, or if you spend more than $200," he explained patiently.


"Oh ok," I said calmly, mentally trying to picture the possibility of squeezing 10 people into one of the said cubicles.


"Strawberry Mint Martini," a Japanese-accented man said in a gentle voice behind us, placing the bright red Martini on the coaster in front of her. This was likely the oft-mentioned Japanese mixologist that was behind the recipes for the locale's signature drinks. Seems that the only way you would get him to serve or attend to you would be to order more drinks though, perhaps a sound marketing strategy in itself, consider the hots most girls have for Japanese guys.


"Apple and Shiso Martini," he said, as he placed the glass onto the coaster in front of me, as I continued to wonder if I made the most hetro-sexually-appropriate choice.


Strawberry and MintApple and Shiso

Red and Green


Doubts were quickly quelled as I took my first sip. Albeit being light on the alcohol flavour, the sweetness of the apple was nicely complimented and perhaps even slightly overruled by the minty taste of the Shiso leaves. The lady's drink was slightly stronger, but still had a predominant fruit flavour complemented by the essence of mint. Overall, it was understandable that the focus of the martinis were very much more on using alcohol to enhance the flavours of the fruits rather than vice versa, making them smooth drinks that went down easily - almost in a dessert wine kind of way.


As she was snapping away at the drinks as artistically as she could, I said to her with my recently acquired confidence, "Come, let me show you how to take an artistic shot." And with that statement, the challenged was issued; a War of the Worlds, her's against mine.


Indeed, photography is very much a matter of perception, a deliberate, intentional and justifiable representation of how he / she views the outside world within his / her mind. Ultimately, to me, what goes into the composition of a photo is very much mapped out within the internal confines of your being, rather than trying to "read" whatever is without your being in a certain way.



The results of the war that was waged?

(Lady's on the Left / Gent's on the Right)

In BetweenOne Third

Battle 1



Stairway to HeavenDown the Middle

Battle 2



UpskirtReflections

Battle 3


SolitaryMy Humble House

Battle 4



Needless to say, I think I won overall. Oh, except for the last battle below, which I have to admit she won hands down; but then again, it probably had more to do with the model than anything else...

Focus Chubby

Focus Cool

No comments: