Thursday 11 December 2008

The Shackles of Ideals

I'm an Idealist, have always been.

And the thing about Idealist is that they strive for the optimum, no matter how unrealistic this said optimum is, and regardless of the costs.

Economically, Idealists always make a loss. The dynamics of economics is that there is price and there is value. To the Idealist, the value of an Ideal is almost infinite, and so, the price, or the willingness to pay for that ideal, would be almost infinite as well.

Psychologically, Idealists should be a lot less susceptible to Cognitive Dissonance than many other types of people. Idealist above all else, tend to have a more defined definition of "happiness" compared to most other people, and are less willing to self-justify any seconds in life.

Practically, Idealists are simply not. Idealists have a sort of belief within them to attempt to merge the treads of their dreams with the plane of reality, and to live a life of purpose, passion and meaning, despite how unrealistic and unsound this merger may sound on paper.

And this, in itself, is the end goal of every Idealist: To live a life that they fully and whole-heartedly believe in.

Yet, not everyone with fulfilled dreams is an Idealists.

In my opinion, there is the Idealist and the faux Idealist. The main difference lies not in the dreams that they strive for, but rather the costs at which they are willing to pay in order to obtain them.

Ideals being ideals, are supposedly impractical, unrealistic and visionary. And in a world shaped by conventions and circumstance, it is only natural that the achievement of such ideals come with a price: time, patience, effort, labour and most ironically, happiness.

Considering that "'happiness" is what the Idealist truly seeks at the end of the journey, being able to live a life of true happiness with the merger of dreams and reality, it is somewhat ironic that happiness is something that an Idealist would be required to sacrifice in exchange for the attainment of his / her ideals. Yet, the true Idealist is one who is willing to make such a costly sacrifice in exchange for an eventual fulfillment.

On the other hand, the faux Idealists are people who attain their dreams with little or no major sacrifices necessary. Some of which have it handed to them on a silver platter through a case of good fortune, to get a straight road to the fulfillment of an ideal.

Yet, to the faux Idealist, no matter how much they say that they "love" something, it will never be as justifiable or as convincing as that of a true Idealists, who has lived his / her life striving for, going through numerous pains and sacrifices, before finally attaining it.

Being an Idealist is extremely tiring, and sometimes the very happiness and fulfillment that you strive for, are the very same things that causes you so much heartache and misery. When you feel that circumstances do not allow you to make any progress towards your goal, when you see someone of lesser capability, experience and most importantly, desire, get something that you want so badly and have strived so hard towards getting it; it is extremely difficult not to feel indignant and frustrated over it. And it would be a lie to say that I have not felt such emotions and questioned the costs of my ideals every so often.

In all honesty, I've come closer to giving up on a 20-year passion and a 10-year ideal in these few months more than ever. Misunderstandings, politics, rejections and of course, circumstances (what else is new?) has left me with a whirlwind inside my head and a shadow of doubt in my heart, as I struggle to justify my sacrifices and quench the unhappiness that my ironic strive for happiness has brought me over the last 1.5 years.

Yet, despite all these, at the brink of giving up, I can't help but still feel Shackled to my Ideals, wanting to hold out a little more, wanting to try something else, wanting to give it one more shot; knowing that I would deeply regret it if I were to walk away from it now.

At the end of the day, I somehow still manage to muster out this to myself: Not everyone can afford to be an Idealist; many others are forced to become otherwise in the wake of circumstances and obligations. The very fact that I can afford to even strive for my ideals, is probably already a privilege in itself.

I dare not believe that I will be able to fulfill my dreams eventually, with my pessimistic mind these days, but I do know that sacrifice is an essential part to the fulfillment to these ideals.

Sigh. Perhaps I'm meant to be an Idealist my whole life, perhaps...



Was it Nothing more than Noise Inside my Head...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well Mr Vampire, I do think the crux of the entire 'problem' as what you've said, if you walk away now, you will probably regret it for the rest of your life.

1.5 years may be long, considering the fact you've dealt with some really shitty situations.. I suppose grinding your teeth to smile doesn't really help much.. but still, I do believe in that 'someday', somehow.

I'm pretty sure people are rooting for ya. Idealist or not, hold on to your dreams. Success may or may not come, but...

=)

Anonymous said...

Looking for a too specific job is not quite likely to happen.

Go for something close, opportunities will rise from them. You need some contacts before moving on.

Js

Jeremy Kang said...

Min:

Yeah, its a tough choice, to remain in something that I know that I will regret if I walk away from, yet its not any easier when things don't seem to be getting better, the the world continues to spin for everyone else in this industry while it stands still for me, but well...

Hopefully the 'someday' will really come some how... I just need a glimmer of hope, hopefully things will turn around in the coming year.

Js:

Man, trust me... I have already started to expand my possibilities and my options more and more, straying a little out of the road that is ideal now... but still... waiting to reap the harvest that is yet-to-come.

Hrin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Hrin said...

Hey Jem, don't give up on your ideals man. It's far too soon!Hang in there ya? I've been keeping a keen lookout, but now economic downturn so a bit harder... But anyway... this too shall pass and there will be that rainbow after the storm. You can do it! Where's that egomaniac bastard I used to know!!!

Remember how Team Rocket never gives up??? :p

Jeremy Kang said...

Haha, yeah... no matter how many times they fail to capture Pikachu, they still refuse to give up.

Sigh, yeah... its been rough lately, and I can't say I'm not on the brink of it, but I'm still hanging on, albeit by a thread, but still...

Yeah, I wonder where the hell is that bastard now too... I've been looking for him for quite a while now, but I don't seem to be able to find him in his usual hangout places...