Sunday 10 August 2008

The Boston Chapters: Over Troubled Waters

The bridge has always held a significant value to me. Sure, it stretches across an extremely peaceful river with the most tranquil of sights - sail boats gently gliding on the water's surface as the sun's rays reflected off of the dancing waves of the river. But then again, it has never really been about the sights of what one would see on the bridge, as much as it sure does help; it's the very act of crossing the bridge that counts more.


Geographically, walking across the bridge takes one to "the other side", or a whole new realm we all know as Boston. I remember the first time I crossed the bridge, I felt a slight rush of excitement as I made a mental note of the "new frontier" in which I was about to set foot upon.

Over the course of the 2 months, as much as the feelings of excitement and adventure peeled off with the weathering of time, I still always make it an effort to walk across the bridge every time I want to head down to the all-too-familiar comic shop or Prudential Tower on the other side.

As much as it would make more comfortable sense to ride the bus instead, there was just something about crossing the bridge on foot that meant something, something that felt "right" or refreshing; especially so during the times that I walked alone, with only the hymns of Mother Nature ringing through my ears. Somehow, walking across the bridge had unknowingly become my little quiet spot and reflection time for the duration in which I've been here.

I'm sure the sights and sounds played a part in attributing to the creation of this little emotional and mental refuge for me; but thinking deeper about it, I figured that maybe its because it holds a significant metaphorical meaning to me as a person as well.

The entire experience of this 2 months could very well be likened to, you guessed it, a bridge in my life; a bridge over the turbulent and troubled waters of uncertainty. And just like the little bridge, these entire experience is also set to lead me into new frontiers; a new chance, a new job, a new hope, maybe. No one really knows what really lies on the other side, but I'm sure that this bridge is leading me somewhere.

But just as or perhaps even more important than the eventual destination, the bridge in itself, is a journey or part of THE journey as well. While the main purpose of it was or is to bring one to the other side, I cannot deny that making this crossing has yielded its own share of intangible rewards as well.
In summary, these 2 months habr been magical to say the least (minus the debacle of "Black Tuesday"), and not only have I learned and grown as a Game Designer with the project and under the guidance of the people that have been helping me out along the way; more importantly, I've learned and grown as a person, learning important lessons from the experiences of almost-utter freedom and independence, and I would be lying to say that I didn't almost enjoy every single minute of it. And the best part is, I managed to do all this while joining a team of talented (and some less-talented people) in creating something special.





While not THE most polished or complete of games, Muzaic is definitely something that I'm more than happy with the way it turned out. Sure, we had our hard times, we crunched blood and sweat out of the last fortnight, and we worked our asses off to get all that we wanted in; but through all the buggy mess that was / is often out of our control, the bottomline is: Muzaic is a game that I'm proud to call my own, no matter what anyone or everyone thinks about it, I will always feel that magic was made while I made this little crossing in my life's path, and in many many more aspects than one.

I looked at the iconic pointed-top of the Prudential Tower get bigger and bigger as I drew closer to it. The length of the pathway behind me getting longer with each subsequent step I took. Sail boats glided across the surface like every other good-weathered day. The waves rippled under my feet as I looked at the shimmering image of the sun on the water's surface.

And turned around, and stared long and hard through the intense light at the scene that surrounded me. Today, I crossed the bridge for the last time...


........... See you on the Other Side

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Remember how i told you that u have an exceptional talent on written pieces that are based on reflections and ruminations?

This entry just proved my point. CONGRATULATIONS on the completion of Mūzaïc diot, especially since this is the FIRST game that u can really call your own, seeing what happened to "Troy and Armour".. I bet you must be a proud papa. :DDD

I know you are going to miss the US of A a lot... and as cliche as it is gonna sound, this is not the end. It is just the beginning!!! Truthfully, a small part within me is glad that you're back in Singapore, and i can get back to talking to you every week, rather than the pathetic three times in the past two months, but seeing what you have gained from this experience made me feel a TAD ashamed for kicking up a fuss over missed phone calls. Haha.

Btw, how do you pronouce Mūzaïc? Is it a french word or?

Anonymous said...

You spelled Mūzaïc wrong! >_<"

Haha, your writing is still so... over-the-top. Still, good to see that you could actually write about this "experience" positively and not as a giant bundle of emo. Yaaay victory!

And we all know you'll come back to the States again, right? Missing you crazy guys already~

Jeremy Kang said...

Princ:

Its pronuounced Mu-Zay-Ic, as in like, Music and Mosaic, but well, that is kinda making it too obvious.

Well, yeah, sure am missing the US already. There are some things there like the Super-sized food and all the fake boobs that are really a bit hard to find in Singapore.

But still, nothing beats the weather. I HATE the weather in Singapore, and being back here reminds me of it.

Well, hopefully, I'll be able to go to the US again something soon enough. Anyway, if you have time, check out the game, ya?

Fusakugyoku:
Yes Jenn, I am not using a Mac and therefore cannot easily find the symbols in the name proper, but its close enough I'm sure.

Haha, you will NEVER ever say that my writing is good i think. Yes, it is a little more flamboyant than the normal down to earth boring shit, but well, that's just the way it is I guess.

And well, of course I won't sum the entire experience up in a giant ball of emo-crap. I had too much fun and learned too many things to let one stupid costly mistake overshadow the rest of the positive aspects of the entire experience.

And yeah, hopefully things will go well and I'll be back in one part or another of the States in the next 1-2 years.