Friday 14 December 2007

Hush, Isolation

"Ticket for one, please." I said to the cashier.

I made my way into the cinema, with my hands full with a box of popcorn, a large coke and a promotional packet of Twisties tucked under my armpit. I located my (usually-preferred) aisle-seat and snuggled up in the chair to obtain a position comfortable enough to last me through the next 2 hours or so.

I am no stranger to this form of solitude and isolation, especially not in film-watching. I remember that some of the best films that I've watched were under these solitary conditions... as my memory takes me back through the scenes of The Departed, The Prestige and now this.

The movie opened to a deliberately slow start, setting the mood and ambience for the context of 1960s Shanghai, as the main characters are introduced one at a time, without much explanation. The classical plot layout of starting in the middle of the plot's timeframe and filling in the pieces before and after.

The rational behind catching films alone is a rather simple one, which is simply taking the perspective of putting the appreciation of the film over the company that comes with it. While I do believe that movies are a great way to spend time with some form of company, circumstances occasionally hinder the availability of company within the confines of a movie's scheduled run-time. So between the lack of company and the slipping of the cinematic-experience of an under my radar, the movie-buff in me would choose to go with the former.

Newcomer Tang Wei's presence in the movie grew on me over the course of the film. While initially spending more time analyzing her physical attributes, including the colour and shape of her nipples; as the plot continued to play out, I found her easier to connect to. Wang Lee Hom on the other hand, delivered a rather safe and one-dimensional performance. As for Tony Leung, his performance was spectacular as usual, only further cementing his position as the best actor this side of Asia; handling his role of charismatic cruelty with great conviction.

Even though company in film-watching can play a part as important as the supporting cast in a movie, like having others spread the infectiousness of laughter when watching a comedy, or having sharing the "Hoos" and "Has" in a mind-blowing action film, thought-provoking deep films are actually perfectly suited to be watched in solitude, leaving you to swim in your own thoughts as the plot unfolds, and to harvest the the nested subtleties sown by the director.

The fabled sex-scenes in the movie were rather artistically done, unsurprising considering having Lee Ang at the helm of the film. While serving as an erotic display on the visceral level (there were times that I was really asking myself if they were REALLY having sex); on a functional level, the sex scenes depict the connection and vulnerability of the characters. Going a step further into the symbolic layer, the placement, progress and portrayals of the sex scenes lie in parallel to how the characters' relationships develop; representing the shift in power and emotional leverage of the characters.

On a socially symbolic level, the act of catching a movie alone is often unspokenly frowned upon and somewhat a social taboo in our mostly Asian society. Somehow, seeing someone watching a film alone almost immediately causes the relation to terms such as "loner," "loser" or "weirdo" (I'm sure I could easily be branded that if I wasn't as well-groomed as I am), rather than more positive terms such as "movie-buff" or "film-critic."

For some reason, in our society, seeing someone do certain activities alone, such as dining or watching a movie, will lead to the assumption of the person being social inept more so than to the conclusion that the person is confident and perfectly comfortable with himself / herself to relish these experiences entirely based on their own merits. It is also interesting to note that these assumptions are more easily branded upon fellow Asians than it is with Caucasians; for some odd reason, its perfectly fine for Caucasians to walk into a cinema alone without garnering raised eyebrows, but not so much for Asians on Asians. Perhaps, it boils down to te socially innate assumption that Caucasians are more confident in general, or at least enough to remain unphazed by the raised eyebrows.

Speaking of which, my eyebrows were raised in doubt and question by the time the camera panned on Tony Leung's tearful eyes as the credits rolled. While the backbone concept driving the entire plot was not exceptionally original or intriguing, and the pacing of the plot development was a little uneven; the overall execution of the story devices and the character development was immaculately done and enough to be entirely believable and relatable to. As mentioned in media, Lee Ang's masterpiece is a work of art that will leave the viewer with a deep impression and still pondering about the choices made by the characters long after the credits have rolled.

And to this, I am glad that I chose to catch the movie in solitude. On a personal note, I feel that there is something rather soothing about watching a movie alone; without the need to take occasional glimpses of your company to check if he/she/they are falling asleep, without the need of having to consider passing the popcorn out of courtesy, without the distraction of wise-cracks from the company. Leaving one in the Hush of the Isolation, battling with one's own thoughts in sync with the screen events, to be able to fully digest all the little nuances, and to be able to entirely immerse oneself into the director's vision and direction.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can somehow imagine you watching movies alone (and prob w**king along) in cinemas like Yangtze and Golden 20 or 30 years down the road. Haha.

Yeah.. I couldnt agree with you more that in our society, seeing someone do certain activities alone, like dining or watching a movie, will lead to the assumption of the person being social inept. But then again, I guess sometimes it is prob the person himself who thinks in that way. He, who lacks the confidence and self-esteem, prob THINKS that everyone is giving him weird stares or calling him names.

I would prefer watching movies alone too sometimes. Cos chauffeur always falls asleep half-way through and that kinda pisses me off. Ha.

Anywayz... If you wanna dine or watch a movie alone next time, well, just go ahead and do it. I promise I wont call you a loser/loner/weirdo. Not in front of you, at least. Haha.

Oh ya. Kudos to Tony Leung.

Jeremy Kang said...

About watching movies alone and wanking to them... well, I don't think I would be alive by then, haha. But if I am, I'm sure I would be a happily married man by then, and would probably FINALLY see that there are more meaningful things in life other than sex, haha.

Well, in a way it is true that sometimes, it is the person hiimself who is more self-aware than anything else. But then again, we all know cases of some delusional socially inept person who doesn't really have a choice in these things, and yet consoles himself on thinking that he is damn cool and damn independent, when that is not entirely true.

And of course, this is SURELY NOT me. So dining or watching a movie alone, sure... why not? I'm more self-assured than that. But you know what I REALLY wanna do?

Go travelling alone. Now THAT would be the utmost soothing experience. Sigh, daydreams.

Jeremy Kang said...

Haha, now THAT is funny, how could I have forgotten to mention that part?

Hmm, you should try it seriously, like I said, it's quite soothing, in its own right. But one thing though, try to make sure that the film is at least somewhat good before you decide to do that, else you have no one to share the misery with, haha.